Australian Embassy, Tokyo

This site looks simple because you don't have a Web Standards compliant Web Browser. You can't see the site design, but all of our content is still available. Please enjoy your stay and consider upgrading your browser to view our full site design.

Address: 2-1-14 Mita, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8361 - Telephone: 03-5232-4111

Driving in Japan

Converting your Australian car licence to a valid Japanese licence

Australian driver's licence holders are able to obtain a Japanese licence without sitting a written or practical driving exam. We provide the following as general information only. Please contact your local Japanese licence office for definitive advice.

To convert your licence, you will generally be required to produce an official translation of your Australian licence, prove that you resided for at least three months in Australia after your licence was issued, and take an eye test.

The Japan Automobile Federation (JAF) is able to arrange a translation of your Australian driver's licence for a fee. We do not provide translation services.

Some Australian driver's licences do not show the date of issue. Therefore, you may be required to provide an Australian driving record from your home state Transport Authority that shows the date of issue of your Australian driver's licence. This will also need to be translated into Japanese.

If you require a record of movements in and out of Australia to prove that you resided there for at least three months after your licence was issued, please contact the Immigration Section of the Australian Embassy, Tokyo.

For further information about driver's licence regulations in Japan, please contact your local Japanese licence office.

External links

While every care has been taken in preparing this information, neither the Australian Government nor its agents or employees, including any member of Australia's diplomatic and consular staff abroad, can accept liability for any injury, loss or damage arising in respect of any statement contained herein.